Friday, April 3, 2009

My life. In pictures. Day 5

The final photo for the week is of something old. My most favorite and most comfortable pair of sandals are my Birkenstocks. I absolutely LOVE them!! I was hooked on buying them when I was at college. At the University of Iowa, they were very popular and I bought them in the summer of 1993. I have no idea how much Birks cost these days, but back then I paid about $95 for them. That was the most I've ever paid for shoes before in my life. Now, I hate to spend $30 on shoes. I wore these shoes all the time in my college days and then after too, but I didn't notice many people wearing outside of the Iowa City area. I still hung on to them. Style wasn't more important than comfort. One reason why I love these sandals so much is that they fit perfectly on my foot, like a glove. Hence, if I remember correctly, Birks are to form to your arches of the foot. I often wear them my home like slippers.

Over the years, my Birks have weathered, but I bought the glue to preserve the cork sole. The sales person hooked me into buying it. I think that is what has helped them last so long. They are rather tacky looking now. However, I still wear them but only around the house or neighborhood. At times, I've caught myself with them on a quick run to the store. They are great to paint in because they slip off so easy.

I don't think I'll be parting with my Birks anytime soon, even after 15 years. They have been one of the best shoes purchases that I have ever bought. I'm not sure if any shoe compares to the quality of a Birkenstock. For $95, 15 years of wear, totally worth it!!

Thanks Amber at Everything Except the Grill for this fun week of photo challenges.


6 comments:

Patti Jo said...

Wow! Those have worn really good! Birks are great! I had a pair years ago - I paid $106 for them in 2000. Ouch! I've never paid that much for shoes since. They didn't last me as long as yours have. I didn't take as good care of them.

What I wear now that I love are Crocs. A less pricey at around $30. So I can own more. Yeah! You don't have to wear the ugly ones either. I don't wear any of the ugly original style mine are all cute sandals, well except for the heels I got for Valentines day.

Celeste said...

My ex introduced me to them... hence I would never touch them now! They look comfy but way too pricey. Glad they lasted that long and you got every dollar out of them!

Sally said...

Yay for Birks! I've been wearing them since high school and have had several pairs over the years. I agree that they are indeed the best sandals. Although... I have been known to wear them with socks (shhhh... don't tell anyone). ;)

Kathryn said...

I've never worn Briks. I tend to curl my toes to keep them on, so i didn't find them comfortable.

But i used to have a pair of Cherokee shoes i loved like this. I nearly cried when the soles cracked thru & they were no longer repairable.

:)

Sheri said...

I have heard of those shoes-guess they really hold up! Have a fantastic weekend

Amber D. said...

I had a pair or two back in the day!